Nationally, April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). The goal of SAAM is to raise public awareness about sexual violence and educate communities on how to prevent it. This year, SAAM is celebrating its 15th anniversary with the theme “Prevention is possible” to help individuals, communities and the private sector understand how they can take action to promote safety, respect and equality to stop sexual assault before it happens.
There are many practical steps that are currently being taken in our homes, neighborhoods, schools, faith communities, and workplaces.
- Individuals can model supportive relationships and behaviors, call out harmful attitudes, and challenge the societal acceptance of rape and sexual assault.
- Communities and businesses can take action to implement policies that promote safety, respect, and equality.
- Everyone can display prevention messages and promote awareness.
- Join the #30DaysofSAAM instagram contest. Spread the word about Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! Each day in April, post a photo that reflects the day’s theme. Click here to learn more.
- Participate in SAAM Day Of Action, Tuesday April 5th. This nationally recognized day provides an opportunity for preventionists and advocates to engage with their communities and kick off SAAM events that are planned throughout April. Click here to learn more.
- Wear Denim on Denim Day, Wednesday, April 26th. For the past 17 years, Peace Over Violence has run its Denim Day campaign on a Wednesday in April in honor of Sexual Violence Awareness Month. The campaign was originally triggered by a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices felt that since the victim was wearing tight jeans, she must have helped her rapist remove her jeans, thereby implying consent. The following day, the women in the Italian Parliament came to work wearing jeans in solidarity with the victim. Click here to learn more.
- Take a picture with your NO MORE sign for SAAM. There’s no excuse and never an invitation for sexual assault! Join us in calling out harmful attitudes and challenging victim blaming myths by sharing the myth or excuse you say NO MORE to. Take a picture with your NO MORE sign to help challenge the societal acceptance of sexual assault and share on social media with the hashtag #SAAM! Don’t forget to tag NO MORE on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr.