The next time you’re in a room with 6 people, think about this:
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience violence from their partners in their lifetimes (1).
- 1 in 3 teens experience sexual or physical abuse or threats from a boyfriend or girlfriend in one year (2).
- 1 in 5 women are survivors of rape (1).
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men have experienced sexual violence in their lives (1).
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused before the age of 18 (3).
Sources: (1) The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010-2012 State Report ; (2) Liz Claiborne Inc. & Family Violence Prevention Fund (2009); (3) U.S. Centers for Disease Control (2005).
(1) Smith, S.G., Chen, J., Basile, K.C., Gilbert, L.K., Merrick, M.T., Patel, N., Walling, M., & Jain, A. (2017). The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010-2012 State Report. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
(2) Teen Dating Abuse 2009 Key Topline Findings (Liz Claiborne, Inc. & Family Violence Prevention Fund).
(3) U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s 2005 study on Long-term consequences of childhood sexual abuse by gender of victim.